Towards high resolution mapping of 3-D mesoscale dynamics from observations
- 1Istituto di Scienze dell'Atmosfera e del Clima, Roma, Italy
- 2Istituto per l'Ambiente Marino Costiero, Napoli, Italy
- 3CLS-Space Oceanography Division, Ramonville Saint-Agne, France
- 4IMEDEA(CSIC-UIB), Esporles, Spain
- 5Mercator Océan, Ramonville Saint-Agne, France
Abstract. The MyOcean R&D project MESCLA (MEsoSCaLe dynamical Analysis through combined model, satellite and in situ data) was devoted to the high resolution 3-D retrieval of tracer and velocity fields in the oceans, based on the combination of in situ and satellite observations and quasi-geostrophic dynamical models. The retrieval techniques were also tested and compared with the output of a primitive equation model, with particular attention to the accuracy of the vertical velocity field as estimated through the Q vector formulation of the omega equation. The project focused on a test case, covering the region where the Gulf Stream separates from the US East Coast. This work demonstrated that innovative methods for the high resolution mapping of 3-D mesoscale dynamics from observations can be used to build the next generations of operational observation-based products.